Andrew Porter with two tries helps Ireland to historic victory in New Zealand

Ireland claimed a historic first win away to New Zealand to force a series decider after a breathless Dunedin encounter packed with drama.

Andrew Porter pushed twice to help the impressive Irish to a deserved 23-12 win over the undisciplined All Blacks.

Captain Johnny Sexton, cleared to play following concussion concerns, added 13 points as Andy Farrell’s side set up a tantalizing third and final test in Wellington thanks to a historic result.

New Zealand posted a 42-19 success in Auckland last weekend, but their quest to clinch series glory at the earliest opportunity was undermined by repeated infringements.

Substitute prop Angus Ta’avao was sent off for hitting Garry Ringrose’s head at the end of a chaotic 15-minute period in the first half during which his Leicester team-mates Fainga’anuku and Ofa Tu’ungafasi were eliminated.

Referee Jaco Peyper was at the center of the gripping action and could arguably have punished the ragged hosts more severely.

An impromptu strike from Beauden Barrett and a late attempt from Will Jordan gave the Kiwis hope, but they were powerless to avoid a first home loss to their opponents having won the previous 12 meetings.

Ireland arrived at Forsyth Barr Stadium bruised from being blown up at Eden Park.

Farrell’s men made a quick start again and, this time, they went ahead after three minutes.

Leinster prop Porter swept at the end of sustained Irish pressure, with Sexton adding the extras and then landing a long-range penalty forced by Caelan Doris’s tenacity.

New Zealand struggled to make an impact and were hampered by repeated indiscretions during a frantic opening period in which they were twice reduced to 13 men.

Winger Fainga’anuku was perhaps lucky to avoid a red card after a reckless charge on Mack Hansen before prop Tu’ungafasi joined him in the sin bin for tackling Ringrose without the ball to deny the Irish. a second try.

Ta’avao came on as ringside cover for Tu’ungafasi but was promptly sent off with a bloody face in the 31st minute after a disgusting head-on contact with Ringrose, who departed to be replaced by Bundee Aki.

South African official Peyper was at the center of the exciting action.

Should have briefly reduced New Zealand to 12 men due to their foul play which temporarily led to uncontested scrums.

Amidst the chaos, Ireland struggled to manage the game and wasted numerous chances to stretch the score before falling behind just before half-time.

New Zealand were rewarded for relentless pressure as Beauden Barrett dove in after the ball was rocketed out of a ruck, with brother Jordie Barrett adding the conversion.

That scoreline left Ireland just 10-7 ahead at the interval and also down to 14 men to go after the restart after vice-captain James Ryan had been shown a yellow card moments earlier for cynically saving a quick penalty.

Ireland regained their composure during the break and were rewarded for their patience.

Porter, who had only scored two international tries in his career before the start, broke through again, just before Ryan returned to bolster the ranks.

The influential Sexton kept his 100 per cent kicking record, scored the conversion and then added two important penalties to bring his team home.

The fly half, who turned 37 on Monday, cautiously left the pitch after a painful slip, though he was fit enough to return for a post-match interview.

New Zealand pushed to get back into the competition but were repeatedly thwarted by the immense Irish defense before substitute Jordan finally claimed a late consolation.

Having lost momentum in the series, Ian Foster’s men will need to regroup ahead of next weekend’s titanic showdown in the capital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.